Sunday 3 April 2011

4) How did you use media technologies in the construction and research planning and evaluation stages?

New technologies are constantly evolving to make productions more professional and accessible to the masses. Technology has broadened the arena for more people to become professional with their work. There are more tools accessible within technology to make the quality of their work more professional, whether it is films, music videos or photos. The internet allows the consumer to make direct contact with the production of another's work from the comfort of their home; they are able to experience someone else's creativity of different genres: blogging, still images, short films and music videos. Digital cameras are vital for filming music videos as they can retrieve old footage and are compatible with new media technologies such as Adobe. The digital camera allows better zoom and the increasing pixels, quality and resolution means better definition.

Once I had filmed the music video I was able to use a new edition of Adobe premier elements, which allowed me to cut- off sequences in the film which I did not need and to add-in transitions that made alternate scenes flow together. One transition which I used a few times was "cross-dissolve". I used this transition when the main character is standing at the bus stop and dissolves off the screen which then dissolves to him biking. This created an illusion of time- making the video pan over a long time period but in reality it is only a few seconds. For the planning written work I used "blogger.com" to post research into my target audience, music industry and genre and into planning the print productions and video. Blogger has become more advanced over the two years I have been using it for my media A level work, and it saves any work every few minutes automatically. This advance is very useful, when using other media technology- Microsoft Word I have lost my work due to my laptop running out of battery or accidently exiting work, these technologies are still manual for saving work. Once I had made the music video I was able to post the video onto youtube.com. This website has now become essential to publicising media texts especially music videos.

I believe this will help unknown artists such as Tom Sutcliffe who can rise to fame through the free publicity. Lily Allen rose to fame through the media website "MySpace", this shows how small unsigned bands can achieve global success in a very short time, through free publicity and progression of technological advances. YouTube is accessible to all audiences and is free. It has a simple layout with easy access to videos. This means it isn’t a time consumer for many audiences who require videos straight away. Another phenomena that has moved forward with technological advancement is the ability to become more intimate with a wide audience. Many people have become famous overnight with personal footage on Youtube. A persons art and creativity can be broadcast by popular demand and word of mouth move onto other areas of media like television.

The website "totallyunsigned.co.uk" had hundreds of unknown bands listed ready for record producers to easily access. Tom Sutcliffe stood out to me, and fit the acoustic genre perfectly. On social network Facebook, many unsigned bands can set up a page which can be accessed by a global market, making it cheaper for producers to promote their artists. After I had When making the print productions- advertisement I used Photoshop. I was able to edit a still image from the music video of the main character Craig and edit it black and white, enlarge the image, and add text. This would appeal to the specific audience as they could correlate the image with the music video. However through it being slightly different from the music video it engages better with the print productions which consist of alternate covers. Even though the print productions differentiate the genre is the same, it conveys the theme of "alternative rock" of using more abstract art and design.

Using Photoshop elements for the print production- advertisement, I was able to see how the image would look if it were drawn, painted, sketched or oil-painted. This was very useful as it made a perfect projection of the still image. I would not be able to create the same style or background image if i were to draw it by hand. Technological websites have allowed me to create slide shows broadcasting my creativity skills and promoting the music artist, through websites such as "prezi.com". Other sites which were fundemental in promoting the artist "tumblr.com" through this website I posted updates on the track list and embedded the video for "Cigarettes" by Tom Sutcliffe. The video was reposted by many audiences which helped promote him to a wider audience.

The website also allows for creativity over the genre in which I labelled him-"acoustic folk" as I could make my own background theme and stylise the chronological order of the planning. The audience on tumblr was my friends and people I knew which meant i could incooperate themes that would best suit them to make the production more appealing to younger audiences.

2 comments:

  1. You have discussed the impact of new technologies well and clearly.

    to cut- off sequences - to edit out?
    You start discussing the blog in the middle of the paragraph about editing. Can you extend discussion of how you used edit software? Just a few dissolves? Also be more specific in discussion of photoshop and print production.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although your paragraphing is still a little unclear you have made a very good evaluation of how new technologies enabled you to great each of the products. You relate this throughout to the broader picture and consider how new technologies is changing the way audiences can create products and reach an audience in new ways.

    ReplyDelete